Predictive Method for Highway Safety Improvement Program

Moderator: khardy

Predictive Method for Highway Safety Improvement Program

Postby chris.milner » Wed May 25, 2011 10:15 am

Has anyone used the Predictive Method for a Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) project application? Just curious to see how others have been using this tool. Thanks in advance for any examples.
Chris Milner, P.E., PTOE
Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc.
chris.milner@kimley-horn.com
chris.milner

Re: Predictive Method for Highway Safety Improvement Program

Postby jmarandino » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 am

Here in Southern New Jersey, I've prepared a Benefit-Cost Analysis using the HSM for a existing four-legged, signalized intersection for purposes of obtain federal safety money through HSIP. Countermeasures included adding protected/permissive phasing for existing left-turn lanes on all four approaches where only permissive phasing was orginally in place as well as changing the clearance intervals to coincide with ITE recommendations.

I took advantage of the Excel spreadsheets provided on the HSM website for the Predictive Method (urban and suburban intersection), applied the EB Method (hopefully correctly). From the Predictive Method results I recreated Sample Problem 7.9 within the Highway Safety Manual (Chapter 7 Economic Appraisal) and calculated a Benefit-Cost Ration of 5.6, showing the project is cost-effective based upon the change in crash frequency.

I intended to run the same predictive method analysis using HiSafe, but was having trouble with the application of the EB Method.

I will be giving a presenation on the project at the MASITE Annual Conference in Cape May, September 19th.
jmarandino

Re: Predictive Method for Highway Safety Improvement Program

Postby chris.milner » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Thank you for sharing - would you happen to have a copy of the presentation that you can share with everyone?
Chris Milner, P.E., PTOE
Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc.
chris.milner@kimley-horn.com
chris.milner

Return to HSM Applications and Success Stories